Titan of Industry.











I am John Pierpont Morgan.
My career began in 1857 as an accountant, and then I worked for several New York banking firms until I became a partner in Drexel, Morgan and Company in 1871, which was later reorganized as J.P. Morgan and Company in 1895.

I began reorganizing railroads in 1885, and I became a board member and gained control of large amounts of stock of many of the rail companies I helped restructure.

In 1896, I embarked on consolidations in the electric, steel (creating U.S. Steel, the world's first billion-dollar corporation, in 1901), and agricultural equipment manufacturing industries.

By the early 1900s, I was the main force behind the Trusts, controlling virtually all the basic American industries.

I then looked to the financial and insurance industries, in which my banking firm also achieved a concentration of control. I was also among the foremost collectors of art and books of my day; my book collection and the building that housed it in New York City are now The Pierpont Morgan Library.