Rising from the ashes.


I am Henry Flagler. I lived a life of ups and downs but in the end I was able to make the right moves to become a successful individual.

I started my career by cofounding the Flagler and York Salt Company in 1862 with my brother-in-law. However, the end of the Civil War drastically reduced the demand for salt and the business collapsed. I had lost my initial $50,000 investment and the $50,000 I had borrowed from my father-in-law.

Even after this disastrous failure, I did not give up. In 1870 I used my acquaintanceship with John D. Rockefeller to partner with him and Samuel Andrews to form Standard Oil. We became the number one company in the country for oil refining and I had finally become the successful business man I had dreamed of being.

Still, I wanted to do even greater things. Eventually, I left Standard Oil to move to Florida, realizing its potential to attract many visitors. However, I realized that the hotel facilities and transportation systems were inadequate. I took advantage of this and built several large hotels that became instant successes. I also built the Florida East Coast Railway which provided transportation throughout the entire east coast of Florida. I changed the state of Florida forever, making it a huge tourist attraction. My ability to take advantage of auspicious ventures was what made me an American tycoon.

http://www.flaglermuseum.us/html/flagler_biography.html