The Commodore.

I lived a fast paced, adventure and danger filled life.
Looking back 197 years, I can say that I did some pretty amazing things.

I was the First Captain of Modern Industry, a self-made millionaire by 1840 by beginning my own steamship business. I was born into a poor family and did not take my first vacation until I was 59 years old.
In my lifetime, I have been a steamship and railroad builder, an executive, a financier, and a promoter.

My boundless energy and acute business sense enabled me to go above and beyond my rivals. I could sense the next biggest business venture and caught on quickly. People often described me as cruel and cold-hearted, but I was only doing what it took to be the best. Even after I became a millionaire and proved myself, much of New York's elite did not accept me; they said I was rich, but crude.
People like me transformed America. We Captains of Industry redefined economics and completely changed the way business is run. Without us, America would not have industrialized as it did and become as great as it is today.

I eventually left behind an estate of almost $100 million dollars, $94 million of which I left to my son, William. I am proud to say that he inherited my cut-throat business attitude and made his own fortune.

"I have been insane on the subject of moneymaking all my life." --
the New York Daily Tribune, March 23, 1878.

Vanderbilt Mansion - Hyde Park http://www.stfrancis.edu/content/ba/ghkickul/stuwebs/bbios/biograph/vanderbi.htm